Thursday, May 28th– Online Advancement Meeting
- When: 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM – Two Slots
- Location: Via Zoom Meeting
- Who: All slots are currently filled for this week
- Event Lead: A Scoutmaster
- We have two slots from 7:00 to 7:30, and from 7:30 to 8:00. Each slot can hold two scouts.
- For Rank advancement
- A few hours prior to the meeting you will receive an email with a Zoom meeting link
- Sign up for a future advancement slot! The next slot is on June 4th!
Sunday, May 31st- Online Troop Meeting
- All Scouts: 4:00 PM – 4:40 PM
- Location: Zoom Meeting (Details will be sent prior to the meeting via email)
- Who: All Scouts and Adult Leaders
- This will be an Online Troop Meeting!
- Please wear your uniform
All in-person troop meetings and activities are currently on hold. The next Troop Meeting will be held online on Sunday, May 31st. We will have scheduled online Advancement meetings most Thursdays for the next several weeks.
- August 9th is the last day to turn in Patrol Award sheets prior to the Summer Court of Honor
- November 22nd is the last day to turn in Patrol Award sheets prior to the Winter Court of Honor
If you have any payments due for any reason, you can contact Mr. Wood or Mr. Goetz to get an address to mail payments to
Merit Badge Opportunities
Summer Activity Opportunities
While Summer Camp was cancelled for Camp Ransburg, there are still some summer activities that you can take advantage of to keep your advancement moving forward:
- Camp Ransburg Online: Several weeks in June and July they will have Merit Badge (and possibly other items) available online for a week-long event. Join their sessions during the day from your own home. Their schedule of available badges should be published this Friday. Find out more on their website. These are taught by the same counselors who ould have been at camp. The cost is $100.
- Dan Beard Day Camp at Friedlander: They are planning to have a Day Camp experience in-person at Friedlander in July. You can learn more about this offering at http://www.danbeard.org/attend-camp-friedlander-summer-camp/. The cost is $185/scout and the badges that will be available are listed on the website. Note that they will have several procedures in place around social distancing, staggered arrival times, and small classes.
- Dan Beard Online Virtual Merit Badge Challenge: Registration opened yesterday for this event. It will be on June 15th – 26th. They have several MBs offered. Find out more at http://www.danbeard.org/scouts-bsa-virtual-plan/. The cost is $15 (includes a patch) for the first session and $10 for each session after that. The scouts will be able to contact the MB counselor virtually, as well as take advantage of pre-recorded information.
- Many other councils are offering online merit badges. Search the internet for BSA Council virtual Merit badge classes (with your parent’s approval) to find a lot of options.
As soon as we have the ability to get back together for in-person events we will try to get back into the swing of things as best we can, and that does include camping. Our current camping schedule of the year has been thrown off, but if you have ideas on what we can do once we can start camping again, please let your Patrol leader (PL) know.
NYLT is Rescheduled
Dan Beard has announced that they will not be having NYLT (National Youth Leadership Training) this summer; however, they are looking at possibly doing a couple of courses over weekends later in the fall. This is still a work in progress on the planning for it, so stay tuned for additional information as it becomes available.
Please check your email for an email from Mrs. McCue Goodwin regarding interest in selling popcorn. Dan Beard is going to be kicking off their sales soon as we are trying to gauge interest in how many scouts will be wanting to sell this year. We are unsure about if we will be able to Kroger store sales at this time.
Court of Honor Coming Soon
The PLC are working out the details on a late spring Court of Honor coming soon (possibly as early as June 13th). This current idea around this is a “Drive-in” Court of Honor where you will not be getting out of your cars. We want to recognize the advancements our scouts have been making over the last several months and are trying to plan a safe and fun way to do so. Please watch your email for more information as it becomes available.
As usual, as we approach the Court of Honor it’s time to make sure if you have any outstanding Blue Cards from merit badges to get them turned in. Since we aren’t meeting physically you can take pictures (of both sides) of completed blue cards and either upload them to your Scoutbook record or email them to Mr. Wood. Hold on to the physical card as Mr. Wood will still eventually need to sign it, but this will work enough for ensuring we get it all documented. You can also mail them to Mr. Wood direct if you wish, just contact Mr. Wood for the address.